I am a participating provider with several health insurers, and file claims for these companies only:

  • Aetna/Coventry/MHNet, Alliant, Anthem/Blue Cross & Blue Shield, Beacon/Value Options, Cigna, Humana, Northeast Georgia Health Partners, Optum/United HealthCare, UMR


Please note:  I cannot accept Medicare, Medicare Advantage, Medigap, or Medicaid insurance at this time.

If yours is not one of the above-listed insurance companies, I am not a preferred provider and you will need to proceed as a self-pay client.  I can give you the superbill you will need to file with your own insurance company, should you decide to do so.


Please contact your insurance company with any questions regarding your coverage and to obtain any necessary authorization numbers for counseling.  Here are some questions to ask your insurance company:

Do I have Outpatient Mental Health Benefits?  If so, is Alice Hoag (NPI 1477724540) in-network or out-of-network?

  • Does my plan cover the following billing codes (CPT codes 90791, 90834, 90837, 90846, and 90847) by a Licensed Professional Counselor?

  • How many sessions per year does my insurance cover?

  • Which do I have:

    • a co-pay?  If so, how much will it cost me for each session of outpatient counseling with a Licensed Professional Counselor?

    • a deductible?  If so, 

      • how much is my deductible?  (You must pay all your health expenses in full until your deductible is met each year.)

      • how much deductible is left before my co-insurance begins?

      • what is my co-insurance amount once I've met my deductible?  (This is the percentage of fees which you'll pay after you've met your deductible.)

  • Is pre-approval or pre-authorization required for the above billing codes?  If so, what is my authorization #?

Some employers provide an Employee Assistance Plan (EAP) which pays for 3 or more sessions at no charge to you. Knowing your insurance benefits is your responsibility.  You can find out whether your employer has such a program by talking with your Human Resources department.  If you do have EAP benefits, you will need to call your EAP directly to ask for authorization for counseling.  They will give you an authorization number and will assign a counselor to you.  (You may ask for a counselor by name if you prefer.) 


Here are some Employee Assistance Programs which I participate in:  

  • all of the above insurance carriers plus

  • American Behavioral, Concern, EAP Works, ESPYR, FEI, LifeWorks/Morneau Shepell, and Workplace Options.

Please see my "Financial Policy" form in the Intake Packet for more detailed information.  It is your responsibility to call about your insurance benefits before we meet.

© 2021  Alice D. Hoag, Ed.D., LPC    Proudly created with